Monday, September 29, 2008

Starting an Exercise Program

Hey ladies! I just had a baby as most of you know and am at my six week mark where I get to start exercising again! Yipee! This was a long awaited time. There are so many benefits to exercising, but my favorite is that it just makes you feel good. So I thought I might add some tips on what I have done in the past as far as exercise programs go. I have lost 30 to 40 pounds after each baby and have gotten down to a size 4 before. I thought I looked better than in high school. So hopefully you can get some ideas from me and then respond to this post so that you can tell me what has worked for you.
The Firm- I started doing the firm post high school. They are dvds that incorporate step aerobics and weight training so that you get lean faster and feel stronger sooner. I first heard of this from the lady that I was a nanny for. If done properly it can really kick some booty. You should start slow at first. The Firm has a lot of dvd's now, you can even find them at Wal-mart. I bought a Firm system from an infomercial after I had my twins and did the Firm three times a week.

Tae-Bo- I did this workout when it was first popular, after my first baby. I found that the best one was the Tae-bo advanced workout because it was an hour long. I noticed that my arms were the most sore and was surprised that you could firm up just by doing simple punches. I love Billy Blanks, but don't really enjoy looking at him in tights.hehe.

TurboJam- this is my newest workout system that I saw on an infomercial and 2 in the morning. I was totally hooked just from watching the ad but then heard that my sister bought it. So after hearing her testimonial I just bought it as well. It is by Beachbody and they have a lot of other systems as well that seem to work for people. Turbojam is aerobic with different dance and martial arts movements put together with awesome music to get you moving. I just did my first workout today and it was totally fun! It comes with a ten day detox program which gaurentees you to lose 10 pounds from 10 workouts in 10 days. It has a really strict diet program that you follow step by step as well. I can't do this right now though cuz I'm nursing, but I will do it when I'm done.

Running- this is the most effective and most beneficial exercise program, and it's free! Although I bought a treadmill for the winter, so that was a little bit of money. But I started running after my second baby and have run the trails all over Utah county. My favorite trail is the Provo river trail which goes from the top of Provo Canyon all the way down to Utah lake. I have run many different races as well and I think that my favorite one is the 10 mile run down Provo canyon. I broke my foot by running a half marathon and figured later that I had an extra bone in my foot that was really hindering running. So now that I have that taken care of, I am looking forward to running a marathon in a couple years. You can check out the post that Liz did about running. You may say, "my knees are too bad to run." My husband and I just saw a health report on tv about how running has actually proven to make your knees stronger, so try it and you will see!
I always remember to drink tons of water while doing my exercise programs. At one time I was drinking about three times the amount of water that you should have in a day and I lost five pounds. So could that count as an exercise program too? JK
Good luck with finding your own program and please let me know what has worked for you as well.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hmmm.... Well you can always go on the "Too busy and too stressed to remember to eat" diet, and that is pretty effective, though not healthy. It also encourages gorging on Oreo cookies at the end of the day when the kids are (finally) asleep and you realize you haven't eaten a thing all day.

I say a close second to the most effective way of getting trim after a baby (besides nursing, --i know totally debatable among women. Yes, every body is different) is running. That's just because I don't know anything different. Kyle's always trying to get me to join a gym, but I just like a good, quiet old-fashioned run to get the flab off the butt. Sorry, the belly is forever to stay (except my sister raves about this fabulous elastic thingy you can wear around your waist that gets your tummy toned down FAST.) to some degree anyway. I haven't really done anything to get mine to leave. I have just accepted it like one of the family. Don't say that I don't have a pooch. you have never seen me in the nude.

So I guess pretty much my thoughts on this one are worthless. Just get some comfy good running shoes and a good sports bra, and some mace and you are good to go! Love to join you!