Monday, September 22, 2008

Exercise is Good For You!!

Very Mean Beginning Runner
"Leave me alone! I am going as fast as I can!!"
It's not every one's best friend, well, not mine anyway, but I know that when I do get myself out of bed for my early morning jog, I am happy that I did. I feel the results all day. I have more energy, am more attentive, and am able to control my food intake.

I thought I would post a little something about some good ideas for beginning runners. I am no professional, but I do enjoy it and have been running since I can remember. It is my choice of exercise.

When you first start to run, my advice would be to time yourself. Start with running for 1 minute and walking for 1 minute. If that seems too easy you can adjust the time. Then you can add on to your running time. Try run for 3 minutes and walk for one until eventually you will be able to run the whole time with no walking. I still walk once in the middle of a long run. I like to run on a trail by my house and when I turn to come back home, that it when I walk for a few minutes. It seems to help me a lot.

I found a few good tips online about listening to your body:

"Of course, when you run you are bound to get tired and experience muscle pains afterwards. That’s fine. To a certain extent. However, when you, during or after your run, feel dizzy, or when you experience pain in your chest area, your back or your legs, beware ! Take it real easy:

*Immediately stop running and rest or walk for a bit until you feel better.
*Cut back on your training load or stop it until the pain has ceased.
*Check with your physician if you keep on experiencing pain or if you are feeling unsure about anything.

*Take care of yourself. You only have one body and one life. Running is a great healthy activity, but in your enthusiasm (too much too soon) you can harm yourself. Follow one of my beginner’s training schedules to avoid injuries. Even then, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY !Learn to listen to your body and you will be your own best coach who can tell you to keep on going or to stop." http://www.best-running-tips.com/beginner-running-tips.html


Maybe running isn't your exercise of choice. Find what you like and go for it. I know that if you get into a routine of exercise, your body and spirit will benefit from it immensely.

No comments: